Forgotten Lilac festival in limbo

A COUNCIL decision last October to call expressions of interest in a spring festival for Goulburn has flown under the radar.
Nanjing Night Net

The move came after Council withdrew support for the Lilac Festival in a bid to inject “renewal and community enthusiasm.”

The plan was to hold a spring festival on the coming October long weekend.

But a report to last Tuesday’s meeting revealed that no action had been taken on the resolution.

It came to light in a new report initiated by general manager Warwick Bennett.

The document updates councillors on actions taken following previous council resolutions, some stretching back to 2012.

Cr Banfield was surprised the spring festival idea hadn’t been pursued.

“Why hasn’t it been commenced?” he asked.

Mr Bennett replied he’d be finding out in briefing meeting.

“I think we’re cutting it fine,” Cr Banfield said.

Cr Sam Rowland said the oversight was disappointing, especially as he had asked about its progress at a council meeting several months ago.

Mr Bennett and corporate services director Brendan Hollands will meet with the Lilac Festival committee early this week/

The aim is to find out its plans for the festival and how the committee and council can work together.

As reported in Friday’s Post, Mr Hollands was hoping Mr Bennett would act as a “new face in the equation” to overcome existing tensions and move forward.

The new GM’s ‘matters arising’ report drew strong praise from councillors.

Cr Alf Walker said he found it very helpful.

It jogged Deputy Mayor Bob Kirk’s memory that there was another outstanding matter – Council’s endorsement of CBD improvement works recommended by a working party.

Mr Bennett said his report, to be tendered monthly, would enable management to focus on council resolutions and give councillors a guide on progress.

“And we will certainly be putting every effort into addressing the outstanding issues,” he said.

The report also revealed that a development consent, containing amendments, had still not been issued for a motorcycle facility approved off Sydney Rd last August.

A report was referred to the Sydney Catchment Authority on June 30. Meantime, on the broader front, Mr Bennett has signalled less Council reliance on consultants.

A separate report to last Tuesday’s meeting stated that Council would maximise inhouse management of a contract to upgrade the city’s wastewater treatment plan.

The new chief is formulating a new direction. It’s understood he met with councillors in a confidential briefing late last week.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.